2. The Iowa wave. That universal one finger salute, (no, I don't mean that finger) the index finger that lifts from the steering wheel and the half nod that mean, "Howdy, neighbor," even if you live a hundred miles away.
3. Playgrounds and parks. Our state abounds with them - state parks, county parks, town parks. In the summer they are filled with families making memories.
4. Schools. Okay, okay, there's a lot wrong with our education system, but there's a lot right with it too. I have been in hundreds of Iowa schools and in every one of them there were caring, nurturing adults who were teaching because they loved the profession.
5. Cornfields. Did you ever watch a field turn colors - from the mint green baby plants to the deep green of summer, fading to tan when they're ready to pick? Nothing prettier!
6. Bike trails. Every year they add more, connecting old trails to new. So many trails, so little time.
7. The State Fair. The movie said it best, "Our State Fair is the best state fair, don't miss it, don't even be late." And I wouldn't miss it.
8. Churches. From the little white frame churches with steeples lifting to the sky, to the brick mega-church that sprawls over an entire city block - Iowa has a spot for everyone who wants to worship God.
9.The oak trees. Recently, I have read a little about the oak savannah, a type of habitat that used to cover much of Iowa. At one time those huge, spreading oak trees dominated the landscape. What a wonder to see.
10. The bounty of our gardens. Sweetcorn, absolutely. Tomatoes, fresh from and Iowa garden? A taste of Heaven.
So what do you love about Iowa ... or one of those other 49 states?